A policy under your car insurance called comprehensive can assist cover the cost of replacing or repairing your car if it is stolen or gets damaged in an unrelated accident. Comprehensive insurance often includes damage from fire, vandalism, or falling objects (such a tree or hail), and is also referred to as “other than collision” coverage. Your lender probably demands complete coverage if you’re financing or leasing your vehicle. It is an optional benefit on your auto insurance plan if you own your automobile outright.